The Senate has passed the awful Republican tax scam on the poor and middle class in the dead of night by a 51-49 vote. They didn’t even give senators enough time to read the 479-page bill before voting.
In order to give a massive tax break to the 1% and multi-billion-dollar corporations, Republicans chose to hurt working families. Teachers. Seniors. The sick.2 It’s disgraceful.
But this fight isn’t over. We can still stop this atrocity before it gets to Trump’s desk by sending all of these Republicans a clear message: if you vote for this, we will vote you out in 2018.
Let’s do all we can to defeat this massively unpopular bill and make sure that Republicans who voted for it pay a price in 2018:
Here’s where we go from here, Charles:
- Republicans still need to resolve the Senate version of the bill with the version that passed the House — and there are major differences to be worked out,
- Both versions of the bill remain historically unpopular with voters, and the more people learn about it the more they hate it,
- Meanwhile Congress still has a whole slew of other business it needs to take care of before the holidays, including avoiding a government shutdown on December 8th,
- And there’s also the special election for Senate in Alabama on December 12th which could upend everything.
All of this means we still have a chance of stopping this thing before it gets to Trump’s desk — but to do that, we need to pull out all the stops.
Here’s our plan:
- We’re going to ramp up our peer-to-peer texting program to reach tens of thousands of voters in key districts and make sure that vulnerable Republicans in Congress know exactly how much their constituents oppose this bill,
- We’re helping to organize targeted actions across the country to help drive media coverage of this historically unpopular bill,
- We will keep on amplifying your stories and the stories of working families across the country who would be hurt,
- And we’ll continue to recruit and support progressive challengers to the millionaire Republican members of Congress who just voted to give themselves a massive tax break — candidates who will put working families first like Randy “Ironstache” Bryce.
If this bill does end up passing, it would be the worst attack on working families in decades.
The callousness with which Republicans in Congress have treated their constituents takes one’s breath away — all in the name of serving their billionaire donors. That’s why not only are going to do all we can to stop it, but also gear up to defeat Republicans who voted for it.
Can you join us?
1. Senate passes GOP tax reform bill, CNN, December 2, 2017
2. It Started as a Tax Cut. Now It Could Change American Life, New York Times, November 29, 2017