Recently, Trump went on national TV to fearmonger and repeatedly lie about a manufactured national security “crisis,” all in order to make a case for his racist border wall.
But he failed to actually address the real crisis of his own making — the government shutdown — which is now into its third week and will soon become the longest shutdown in U.S. history.
Trump is holding the livelihoods of millions of working class Americans hostage in the hopes of getting billions for his border wall fantasy. But while the new Democratic majority in the House has voted to re-open the government, Republican senators continue to stick with Trump.
Multiple incumbent Republicans are sitting in vulnerable seats in 2020, and the Working Families Party wants to start working NOW to hold them accountable in 2020. But this is a big project, and we need to know we have grassroots supporters like you with us.
Will you pledge to hold Republican senators accountable in 2020 for their role in this government shutdown?
The impacts of the #TrumpShutdown are already far-reaching:1
- Since December 22nd, major agencies have been closed including the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Housing and Urban Development, and Homeland Security.
- FEMA, the agency in charge of responding to natural disasters, has issued stop work orders to contractors because they will not be paid.
- The Food and Drug Administration is currently not inspecting food for safety for dangerous pathogens like E-Coli and salmonella.
- Hundreds of TSA workers are calling in sick in protest, rather than work without pay.
- The IRS doesn’t have enough workers to process tax returns, which might result in delayed tax refunds.
- Due to understaffing, our national parks have been overrun with garbage.
- Food stamps, housing assistance, and loan processing for working families all at risk.2
- Health clinics and food pantries that feed 90,000 people in Native American communities have been depleted.3
- For every week this shutdown continues, our economy is expected to lose $1.2 billion.4
On Friday, this crisis will escalate even further when 800,000 furloughed federal workers will miss their first paychecks. These are working families, many of whom live paycheck-to-paycheck, and who are now worrying about how they will pay their bills and put food on the table for their families — all thanks to Donald Trump.
Trump’s temper tantrum has gone on long enough, and the 800,000 federal workers who will soon miss a paycheck don’t deserve this. That’s why we need to make sure Republicans feel even more pressure starting RIGHT NOW.
We need to know if you’re with us. If there is a big enough response, we will focus our energy on unseating vulnerable Republican Senators in 2020 — and you will help us decide who!
Will you pledge right now to hold Republican senators accountable in 2020?