On Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, New Yorkers moved our resistance from the streets to the ballot box.
Across the state, in suburbs, cities, and small towns, we came out in numbers to reject the divisive rhetoric and dangerous policies of Trump Republicans and elect hundreds of Working Families Party-endorsed candidates to local office who will fight for a state that works for all of us.
Voters just sent a clear message in New York: Republicans who align themselves with Trump will not be tolerated. And neither will Democrats who empower them. With your support, we will win a progressive majority in the State Senate and defeat New York’s Republican members of Congress in 2018.
But we can’t do that without you.
One year after Trump’s election, hundreds of Working Families Party-endorsed candidates just defeated Trump Republicans in races all around New York State. Some of those big victories include:
- George Latimer, who won his race for Westchester County Executive, defeating Republican incumbent Rob Astorino who was supported by Breitbart billionaire Robert Mercer;
- Laura Curran, who beat Republican Jack Martins for Nassau County Executive on Long Island, despite the Republican establishment distributing mailers to stoke racial tensions;
- Julius Collins, a Baptist pastor and Army veteran, who defeated Republican Cassie Spoor to pick up a seat in the Ulster County Legislature in the Hudson Valley;
- Brian Nowak, an early activist for Bernie Sanders, who won his race for Cheektowaga Town Council in Western New York;
- Laura Jens-Smith, a nurse and political newcomer, who defeated Republican incumbent Sean Walter and became the first woman to be elected Supervisor of the Town of Riverhead on Long Island; and
- Alfredo Balarin, a young higher education professional born to Peruvian immigrants who was elected the first Latino legislator in Albany city history.
WFP organizers, activists, and allies like you helped elect candidates like this across New York on Tuesday. And over the next year, your support will be critical to winning a progressive majority in the State Senate and electing even more progressives around the state.
We can continue the momentum we built over this last year, but we need your support to do it.